Sunday, September 13, 2015

Journaling of Chapter 3: Interdependence and the Gains from Trade

     Chapter 3 was mainly focused on the concept of comparative advantage. For most of the chapter, the author explained the idea of comparative advantage using a cattle farmer and potato farmer as an example. However, this example still left me a little confused.  As I read further on, the author gave an example of an application of comparative advantage using Tiger Woods and Forrest Gump. This example instantly cleared my concerns and made the principle easier for me to grasp. Basically, what I gathered from this chapter is that comparative advantage trumps absolute advantage when it comes to trade because comparative advantage weighs in opportunity costs. Thus, taking into account comparative advantage will ultimately allow you to gain more. I would give this section of the book a difficulty rating of 2 because even though I feel comfortable with this topic now I was earlier confused. 

No comments:

Post a Comment